Shakshuka, the all time trendy brunch of 2017. It’s super delicious and a great cheat meal for the week.
This dish is inspired by the Middle Eastern Shakshuka, that I have come to love in Morocco. I made a change to the staple dish by replacing aubergines with chorizo.
I promise you won’t regret it! It’s so yummy, just perfect for a Sunday breakfast or brunch.
Yield 2-4 people
Middle Eastern inspired Shakshuka, made with chorizo. It's amazing for a great weekend brunch! Make this as a brunch for two or when you have friends and family over!
- 1 chorizo medium/large
- 1 bell pepper red or orange
- 3 garlic cloves
- 400 g organic chopped tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 20 g feta
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1/4 tsp agave nectar
- 12 coriander leaves
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 loaf sourdough bread
1. Start by slicing the chorizo and pepper into small bite size cubes. Chop up coriander leaves and put aside.
2. Heat a pan on medium/high temperature, once the pan is hot add the chorizo (there will be enough oil from the chorizo, so I don’t add extra oil) and crush garlic over with a garlic press.
3. Fry until the the chorizo is a little crispy and the garlic golden brown, make sure to keeping moving everything around in the pan.3.
4. Turn the stove to medium heat and add the chopped peppers; stir through, cook for another couple of minutes, and pour in the chopped tomatoes. Add your chilli flakes, salt, smoked paprika and agave nectar and mix through.
5. Now let this cook for 15 minutes on medium-low heat until the sauce reduces a little.
6. Once the sauce becomes thicker, add 3/4 of your chopped coriander leaves.
7. Break 4 eggs gently onto the top, and let them poach through the sauce. While the eggs are cooking toast up some sourdough bread. When the eggs are almost done, crumble over your feta, and sprinkle the rest of the coriander.
8. Cook for another few minutes until the feta melts.
Take off the stove and serve the pan on top of a board (it will be super hot), get your cutlery, plates, sourdough bread from the toaster and enjoy!