Pasta is pretty much everyone’s go-to comfort food. If I had to pick one great pasta dish, it would always be a healthy Bolognese. Believe it or not, store-bought Bolognese sauces have quite a bit of added sugar. So over the last couple of years I have been making mine from scratch.
This is a super easy recipe and I use a pressure cooker to get the meat super tender. I also add a little bit of coriander, turmeric and chilli powder to get rid of that beefy taste, you won’t notice it once its all cooked through with Italian herbs.
It’s perfect for meal prep and I love having it with whole grain spaghetti or butternut squash noodles, which would make it paleo friendly.
A slow cooked healthy bolognese.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 kg 5% mince beef
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 large onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 large carrots
- 780 g chopped tomatoes
- 3 tsp herbs de provence
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
1. Firstly, cook the meat, coriander, turmeric and chilli powder in a pressure cooker. Mix well together and fill with 1 cup water, close lid and cook on high heat for approximately 10 minutes till one ring is up. Move cooker to cool surface and leave to depressurise.
2. While the pressure cooker is doing its magic, put a pot on medium heat. Meanwhile, chop up onions and garlic, I do this in my food processor because its quick and the onions turn out super fine.
3. Add coconut oil, onions and garlic to pot, and slightly fry until golden.
4. Then move pressure cooker to sink and pour water over the lid to make sure all the air is out, open the lid and add the meat to the onions. Stir through and leave to cook.
5. Grate carrots by hand or with a food processor and combine with the meat, herbs de Provence, pepper and salt. Lastly, pour in the chopped tomatoes, stir well, put on lid and let it simmer and cook on low to medium heat.
Note: I slow cook the Bolognese for an hour but this is not necessary if you are “hangry” or have little time. 20 minutes should be more than enough because the meat is already cooked through.
Finally, sprinkle more salt when serving if you like it mondo salty but know it’s not that healthy for you!
Serve with pasta or spiralised vegetables and shave some parmesan over!